- Off-Highway Powertrain Services helps to keep the roller coaster rolling
- Case Description:
Even the world’s largest beer festival needs powertrain experts! Our customer, an amusement ride operator, had an urgent service requirement due to vibration issues on their “Olympia Looping” rollercoaster at Munich’s famous Oktoberfest.
On the rollercoaster, 62 powertrains are used to transport the wagon to the top. Due to the compact construction of the track loop, all gearboxes and cardan shafts are interconnected, which made it virtually impossible to locate the source of damaging noise using conventional methods. Off-Highway Powertrain Services (OHP Services) strategy was to pinpoint the vibration after an Hot Spot Analysis and thermography, instead of visual inspections for every component in all 62 powertrains. After identifying a loose part and pinpointing its location, the problem was a matter of a few minutes work to rectify.
The inspection methods used resulted in a highly efficient solution with time savings of 85%, ensuring the problem was fixed before the next operation. By performing a preventative repair a potential unplanned shutdown was also avoided which on average incurs a loss of revenue of circa 35,000 Euros. OHP Services is one of the few partners which is able to deliver replacement parts with a 3.1 Inspection Certificate, ensuring the high quality standards that are imperative for passenger transport applications. Using a global distribution network; OHP Services ensures timely service to the customer.
The customer was extremely satisfied with our expertise and product quality and OHP Services is now the preferred service partner and supplier.
- Technology Snapshot:
Hot Spot Analysis and Repair
Different technologies such as vibration measurement, thermographic measurement and alignment checks are used to determine the root cause of the problem.
Our service experts analyse powertrain components and systems in detail, through multiple measurements and result comparisons to give a complete picture and to optimise the use of maintenance resources.
Detailed reports with confirmed facts are generated to support maintenance decision making. The main benefits include early identification of fundamental powertrain faults and a minimised risk of unplanned downtime.
- Avoid downtime which impacts turnover, especially in the peak season
- Avoid component breakage during operation!
- Vibration measurement and thermography to identify the failed component and its precise location
- Repair and replacement within 30 minutes
- Alignment check and adjustment to ensure the powertrain is running smooth
- Unplanned shutdowns leading to loss of revenue of circa € 35,000 was avoided
- Time saving of 85% achieved by employing Hot Spot Analysis
- Trusted Supplier of 3.1 inspection certified components
- Safe and enjoyable ride experience to end users through reduced vibrations